Sunday, February 12, 2012

Top 3 Ways To Spice Up Boxed Cake Mix

So tonight my husband and I celebrated Valentine’s Day a little early. We went to dinner and saw a movie. After the movie we were heading home and both really were in the mood for something sweet. With me being an avid baker, I can’t bring myself to pay 8 dollars for a dessert I can make myself, so baking at home was our only option. We stopped by our local grocery store and tried to agree on which sweet treat we were going to make. I decided that it was late and I didn’t feel like using my mixer and having to clean it so we bought a boxed mix. This is something I usually try to avoid but I have found that boxed desserts can be really good if you know what to add to them. Here are the top five things I have found to spice up ordinary boxed up mixes…
#3: Food coloring: This is something that doesn’t affect the taste of the food, obviously, but it can make it look much more appealing. (This is especially true on a night like tonight.) Taking a white cake mix and tinting it pink would have been a perfect touch to our Valentine’s Day dessert!
#2: Candy: This is one you have to be careful with because candy can alter the batter in a way that will affect the way it bakes. Try to stick to larger pieces of candy. For example, when making cupcakes, rather than chopping up a bunch of peanut butter cups and throwing them in the batter, just place one whole peanut butter cup in the middle of the cupcake.
#1: Extracts: These can completely change the way a dessert tastes. Once again, you have to be careful with them because a little goes a long way. But the next time you make a cake and use store bought icing, just place a few drops of your favorite extract in the icing and you will have homemade tasting icing in a snap!
Now you have the resources to make the most boring cake mix into a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment