Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream Recipes


For our wedding, my husband and I received an ice cream maker. It sat in our pantry for the past six months and to be honest I completely forgot we had it. But the other day I was digging around my pantry looking for something else and I stumbled upon our ice cream maker! It hadn’t even been removed from the box yet. So I unpackaged it and plugged it in. It came with a book of ice cream recipes but they are very simple and not very impressive. So I decided to experiment a little with my own ice cream creations. I’m going to share with you the top recipes that I have tried and found to be delicious!

#1: Caramel Macchiato Ice Cream. How good does that sound?! This ice cream is sooo good! I was inspired by a drink at my favorite coffee vendor.  I love it because while it’s very sweet, it’s also kind of salty. These two combined make this an amazing recipe! So here it is…

Ingredients: 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, 1 cup white sugar, 1 pinch salt, 2 cups heavy cream, and ¾ cup caramel dessert cause.

Directions: Mix milk, coffee, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add in the heavy cream and chill mixture for 2 hours. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Pour caramel sauce over finished ice cream and enjoy!



#2: Banana Walnut Ice Cream. This is a delicious, unique ice cream that is perfect for the summer months! It would be perfect with a slice of banana nut bread. Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients: 2 ½ cups half and half, 8 egg yolks, 1 cup white sugar, 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, 2 bananas, ¾ cup half and half, 1 cup walnuts

Directions: Heat 2 ½ cups half and half over medium heat. Meanwhile mix 8 egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Add mixture to the half and half and continue to heat. Stir in heavy whipping cream. Puree the bananas and the ¾ cup half and half in a blender until smooth. Combine banana mixture and egg mixture in a bowl and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.



These recipes are great for you to start making your own ice cream. Then once you master them, it’s very easy to create your own masterpieces! You don’t need to become a forensic scientist to figure this one out. You simply take some milk, cream and sugar and add in whatever you want to flavor your dessert! Good luck to you in all your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment